Monday, August 31, 2009

Mmmm... Peanut Butter


Ok... so many have probably read about my distrust for ConAgra due to the "Peanut Butter Fiasco" as I like to call it. In a nutshell, several years ago, before this last huge peanut butter scandal that rocked the US, ConAgra put some peanut butter out on the market that had salmonella in it as well. Stupidly, I bought some one sale thinking peanut butter is peanut butter and well... unwillingly gave my 3 old dose after dose of salmonella. Poor thing.

Since then, I have been on the hunt for the perfect peanut butter. One from a company that I *think* I can trust and one that doesn't have the issues of separating or needing to be refrigerated. One of the worst problems with organic peanut butter is that it separates and needs to be constantly stirred due to oil separation. The other issue is that most organic peanut butters also need to be refrigerated and then it is impossible to stir or spread. Plus it is cold. Jelly should be cold... peanut butter, room temp. IMHO.

So... after trying tons of different kinds I FINALLY came across one that while it isn't USDA organic... it is pretty good. Earth Balance, Natural Peanut Butter with Flaxseed - Creamy. Mmmmm... and the now 5 year old has given it the double thumbs up so that's good.

In 2006, Boulder Specialty Brands acquired GFA Brands, Inc . After doing a simple google search using the words complaints, peanut butter and the variations of their names, I can't find anything, which is pretty amazing in this day and age.

So! If you are looking for a good peanut butter, try this one. It spreads well, it doesn't separate, you don't have to refrigerate it and it doesn't appear to come with salmonella in tote!

No comments: