Thursday, September 3, 2009

White Bread... It appears to be really bad for you!

For years, I have had digestive issues that I thought were "normal". I thought it was normal to go #2 more than four times a day... thought it was normal to have a loose stool every time... and thought it was normal to be bloated to a point of being uncomfortable.

In taking a look at my life, I stopped taking birth control, stopped taking any and all medications, took my diet down to rice and started over. For a bit, I contemplated that my problems might stem from Celiac's disease which is where the body cannot break down gluten. This was not the case. What I deducted, was that I had a severe allergy to monosodium glutamate, commonly known as MSG, and also, finally figured out that I was allergic to bleached flour.

Another post on MSG will be coming soon.

However, today, I decided to take some time off from other projects and wander through Youtube where I happened to come across a video of an Austin Nutritionist discussing bleached flour.



What was most interesting to me was when he discusses the by product of bleaching, Alloxan. Alloxan is used to INDUCE diabetes in lab rats, so that pharmaceutical companies can test their diabetic drugs on them.

After going and researching much of what he said in this video, I found quite a bit that backs up his statements. I have found other nurses and doctors online that are shocked this is happening to our food supply and that the FDA is allowing it to happen.

According to the American Diabetes Association, "There are 23.6 million people in the United States, or 8% of the population, who have diabetes. The total prevalence of diabetes increased 13.5% from 2005-2007. Only 24% of diabetes is undiagnosed, down from 30% in 2005 and from 50% ten years ago." Hmmm... could it be something in the food supply causing this rise in diabetes? As someone who has several diabetics in their family, I am very aware of the life adjustments and pain that this severe disease can cause.

One of the side effects of Alloxan, is hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is when your blood sugar levels get too low. Some of the first side effects are:
* nervousness,
* sweating,
* intense hunger,
* trembling,
* weakness,
* palpitations, and
* often have trouble speaking.
If you let the problem persist, then the next round of symptoms can include confusion, drowsiness, changes in behavior, coma, and seizure.

Now, I am not a doctor. But for the first 30 years of my life I battled with anemia, which I still do, hypoglycemia, which was diagnosed by a doctor, and digestive problems, which I assume because no one goes to the bathroom, four to five times a day, all loose stool.

About a year ago, you might remember my post on Painting your Kitchen Green where I was excited about getting my new bread maker. Yes... I love it and still use it! Since switching to making my own bread at home and using all unbleached flour, I have recently been tested and my blood sugar levels are perfect. I also no longer suffer from anxiety, weakness, nervousness, changes in my behavior, drowsiness and just plain bitchiness. I find that going between meals is not as hard as it used to be and where I would before be literally unable to get up to make myself food and had to have orange juice brought to me just to get to the food... I no longer do.

I know. It could be a multitude of things. However, I know that I feel better since not eating bleached flour. So... give it a try! If you aren't feeling well for any reason, look at your diet. Figure out if it is something in your food supply that is causing your problem. It takes effort and if you need to, get a nutritionist. Personally, I couldn't afford one so I did it on my own and I am feeling so much better for it.

Coming soon... more on MSG... the nastiest of all nasty things added to your food! You wouldn't believe it. I have to settle before writing about that one because it is really really bad!

1 comment:

Muser Grace said...

Fascinating! Thanks for the info...