Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Caffeine. To be or not to be.

So. In a quest to make myself a better/healthier person, I have attempted to eliminate caffeine and I must say, it has been a freaking disaster.

Let me start off by noting that I am usually a two cup a day coffee drinker and that is it. That's it! No soda. Very little chocolate as I don't really have a sweet tooth.

The first two weeks I suffered from horrendous migraine headaches. Horrible. Once those subsided, I noticed that I was strongly drawn to tobacco cigarettes, which having not had a cigarette in four months was odd. So I caved. Had one. Why not. Had one, had two, next thing I know... I have had 5 smokes a day for the past week or so. This is horrible! I have come so far.

The next part of the craving for my coffee was that every time I would walk past my coffee maker, I wanted to hug it. I also have never been one to purchase coffee and recently have noticed that I am noticing every coffee shop along the road. Hmmm... I wonder what they have in there today?

Today was the last straw. I woke up at 5:30am having a dream about coffee and all of the different flavors that are available and what I would like to have and what I want in it. Then I decided screw it. I am going back to the coffee. I am going to have my coffee, 2 cups in the morning and I am going to give up on the 5 cigarettes a day. I mean seriously. Which one is worse?

I will never admit that I have failed at quitting cigarettes because well... I am a smoker and no matter what I do, 5 cigarettes is far better than a full pack. But it is seriously time that I make a commitment to myself and to the earth that there be no more arsenic in my system. Caffeine though... different story.

No comments: