Friday, January 23, 2009

The Big Quit - Day Six


Wow. I am happy as a clam. I cannot tell you how much easier this time around has been... and I owe it all to my electronic cigarette.

Since I am in the electronic cigarette world, I know how absolutely terrible it is to even put electronic cigarette and quit smoking in the same sentence. It is a smoking alternative. However, I have quit tobacco cigarettes so technically, it might not be clinically proven as a quit smoking device, but dammit, if you want to not use a combustionable cigarette, this works pretty well. You aren't technically quitting smoking since you still partake in the action, however, you most certainly are reducing the issues that arise with combustion. (That's MHO and not fact)

So for those of you who have found my meager little blog here are some helpful tips to truly utilize your electronic cigarette.

Days one through five I was feeling a bit odd. Stomach felt "empty" and I was totally unfocused. Since I am still getting nicotine, I did not even assume this was nicotine withdraw. After some exploring in my favorite places that have to do with electronic cigarettes, others have experienced the same symptoms. My deduction: By withdrawing the over 4000 toxins that my body has become so reliant on, my body is reacting to the lack of these horrible little beasts. Now at day six, all of those symptoms are completely gone.

I find that I still want to sit down and smoke. Unlike tobacco cigarettes, or analogs as they are called in the e-cig world, you can puff on your e-ciggy all day long, anywhere you want. I still do this in between. But when I want "a smoke", I get my e-liquid, place 3 drops in my cartridge's nicotine pad and then huff hard to get the thick vapor. After 7 or so puffs, I feel like I have smoked my cigarette and I am off to my next task.

For the morning, I have it ready to go on the night stand, charged battery and full of liquid nic. I know. It sounds like I am an addict, but the fact is, I like nicotine. It helps me stay focused. It calms me. It is no different than others using caffeine for their morning wake up call. I enjoy nicotine! What can I say? (Which is no worse than being addicted to caffeine as far as I am concerned.) I take a couple of puffs and then off to have my muffin and coffee. No need for a smoke with the coffee.

This thing is really amazing. For the first time in any of my attempts to eliminate burning tobacco from my life, I have real confidence that my life is changing and I accept that change. Even the hubby has cut down substantially and can see himself as a non-tobacco smoker eventually. And another note on living with a smoker when you are trying to not smoke cigs: He has been around for three of the attempts and openly admits to me that those three attempts almost led to our demise as I, was unbearable. This time, he thinks he will keep me. :)

I admit that I may be smoking the e-cig for a long, long time, probably forever. I love everything about smoking and I think that's why all of my quit attempts have failed. I love to smoke. Everything about it... well... ok... I don't love the butts and I don't really love the way I smell after smoking. But I love the action, the time to myself. I guess I don't really want to quit... but I am willing to make a change.

So... shamelessly... another link to my favorite site about all things Electronic Cigarette.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice article.

I would like to share with you one startup that aims to save money and environment: neighborrow.com.

neighBORROW is a “green” web-based start-up that facilitates the borrowing and lending things among neighbors or other groups. neighBORROW combines the traditional notion of borrowing a cup of sugar from a neighbor with modern technology, using the Internet to facilitate borrowing and lending of nearly anything among people in local networks. The website, currently in pBETA, uses accountability metrics such as deposits, user reputations and borrowing history and customizable privacy settings to help ensure the safety of its members’ property. Users have the flexibility to decide what and with whom they are willing to share by participating in private and public networks. These “neighBORROW-hoods,” have been created in apartment buildings, dormitories, offices, and other natural localities, and have been used to pool and catalog extensive online inventories of CDs, DVDs, video games, books, tools, sporting equipment, baby items and many other durable goods...