Monday, October 27, 2008

Voting... is an obligation.


With the upcoming election, there have been discussions on whether voting is a responsibility or right. I would like to make the argument that voting is an obligation.

From the moment I can remember, my dad and mom used to wake us up on election day at 6 am so we could be at the voting booth by 7 and to school by 8. Back then, you would walk into this Wizard of Oz like voting booth, pull the curtain, push in these buttons and then pull a big lever. I remember at the age of four, being tired and excited and very thrilled to get my "I Voted" sticker. I also remember my father telling me that voting is not a right, it is not your responsibility, it is your obligation to your country. You pay taxes, you live a good life, and you vote.

There was a time, around 13 or 14, that I remember being completely embarrassed that Dad would drag me to the courthouse to do his bidding, while I stood there and watched. I was always allowed to pull the lever and sometimes, fill in the little black dots. I pre-teen whined the whole way there and the whole way home. He told me to get over it because when it was time, this would be a habitual thing for me and I would understand the lessons then.

Through college, I absentee voted. I didn't quite understand who I was voting for, so I would ask Dad to send me a list of who and why. When I worked on the hill, I absentee voted. When I was to fat to walk from pregnancy, I got my big butt into the car and went to vote. When my child was born, I took her in her pumpkin seat and proudly asked for her sticker that "I voted today". Oh my god I have become my parents!

Last Friday, my husband, who is a first time voter due to just becoming a US Citizen, the kid and I, headed off to the library for early voting in Florida. In hand, were our sample ballots with all of our pre-determined and researched selections. The entire voting process in and out took 20 minutes. If you receive a sample ballot, fill it out and take it with you! Then, literally, you just fill out the dots and check your ballot and you are done! No decision making.

The kid was so excited to get her sticker. Of course, we had to tell her she should keep her little opinion to herself while in there out of respect for her fellow citizens. (She has picked up on this election thing and every time she walks past the t.v. or sees a magazine on the newstand, she points to Barack Obama and says there is our next president!)

Now, a little side note on why she thinks Barack should be president: While watching the last debates, she came into the tv room and saw the two men, side by side debating. Asking us what it was we told her. She simply looked at the tv and pointed to Barack and said he would be the next president. We asked her why? She said he looks and acts like a president! I swear to god we did not sway her. We do not sway her on religion or politics. She will discover her path soon enough. But that really sealed the deal with us. Both raised conservatively with our generations twist, we were big McCain fans and really had issues with the way he "lost it". We were pretty sure we would vote for Barack, but having a four year old point this out was really the final straw.

Back to voting. I found this great site: www.takeyourkids2vote.org. This is what it is all about. We need to be teaching our young citizens that turning 18 is more than just "being free" of our parents (which we all know is a big fat lie). Their responsibility to the country is seeking education, bettering their community and so on. Their obligation is their voice. I firmly believe that if you do not vote, you do not get an opinion. And on another side note: If you vote, no matter who you vote for, your opinion should be cherished by others, no matter how far left or right you are from each other. This obligation is what connects us through race, religion and economic status and truly makes us American brothers and sisters.

So if you haven't voted, go vote. It isn't your right or your responsibility, it is your obligation. If you choose not to vote, because you feel as one man put on his sign here in Florida, "They both suck", well, I feel for you. There are over 13 different parties running for president. Pick someone else! Make your vote of not voting for the top two parties your statement! What about all of your other officials? You do not care who sits in the House of Representatives who claims to be your voice? You do not care if a judge has been proven unfair and should be removed from the bench? You will if, god forbid, you ever end up in front of him!

Voting affects so much more than just who sits behind the desk in the oval office. Your vote affects the environment. Your vote affects the education your children receive. Your vote affects your health and as we are seeing right now, your home! Your vote affects who will sit on The Supreme Court (which I have been shocked in some discussions that people do not know this). Your vote affects every moment of your life.

Now that said: Pack up the kids and take them with you to vote!

No comments: